Equality Through Music

We are already twenty days into this new year.  Are you accomplishing your New Year's resolutions/goals?  I just finished a quick polish change on my nails, and a lady offered me a ginger snap cookie.  The first woman she offered the cookie to quickly said, "no thank you…I'm on a diet".  As you can imagine, without much convincing and in minutes, she was soon enjoying the ginger snap cookie.  Hopefully, you have made strides to keep that promise to yourself.

Last night I was thrilled to have date night with the hubby.  If you are married with kids, you know those moments don't always come often but when they do you feel like a free bird, if only for a few hours, to talk about anything other than the "happenings of the house".  Once the sitter comes and the boys are settled we sit in the car, gaze at each other and just breath.  Instantly, our world is much quieter so we soak in that rare moment.

I was excited all week that I was going to attend a jazz concert.  I LOVE music.  But I read the invitation and realized it was a jazz orchestra from Moscow.  I thought, how will I understand the words of the songs.  Who would translate for me?  What would I wear to this Russian jazz concert? Moscow just seemed like the last place someone would know anything about jazz music.

Igor Butman & the Moscow State Jazz Orchestra

Boy was I wrong.  As I sat in the theatre, I realized that MUSIC is the language that brings us all together.  

No matter where you are from or what your cultural background, a song can be played and instantly turn division into unity.  Generations understand one another through the melodious notes played from a radio or orchestra.  That was my experience last night.

I was surrounded by people who only wanted to hear a great jazz concert, not politics - just great music.  From sultry jazz, bee-bop to big band jazz compositions my ears were a flutter and my feet a tapping.  Many of you might not know, but I played piano for many years growing up.  My father established in us a great love for music.  Igor Butman and the Mocow State Jazz Orchestra blew me away.  Some of my favorite compositions was the tribute to Dizzy Gillespie.  The vocalist, Fantine,  rendition of Ella Fitzgerald, "A-Tisket, A-Tasket" was outstanding and passionate.

As we celebrate the life and legacy of Martin Luther King, Jr., we are reminded that we can all HOPE for a world without ANY inequality.  We've still not arrived at this place. Globally and even in America, humans are discriminated against because they might "appear" to be different.  We CAN keep the dream alive that a day of freedom will soon come for all mankind.  (Posted by Roslyn)


I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal." 
~Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Top 5 Tips To Stay Fit Without a Gym!

Take A Lesson From Ants

I Am Raising America's Most Hated...