Say NO To Everything

This time last year I was at a low place. I was facing a medical challenge. I'd sent my oldest son off to college and was slowly adjusting to our new family dynamics. I lost many close family members. Unexpected deaths happened that just didn't make sense to me.

My mental health was at best scattered after the highs and lows of senior year, graduation and college send off. I was trying to catch my breath but I couldn't.

The mental load of life in the beginning can be easy to hide from others. You spend enough time away from self care and you will soon find yourself running on EMPTY. I was overcommitted in my dueling personal and professional schedules. I knew I needed to slow down BUT I didn't know how. I wouldn't say I'm a super detailed person, but I do try and stay as organized as possible.

How do you organize your life? 
How do you know what priorities to focus on (personally & professionally)? 
How do you manage your time?

A dear friend gave me some incredible advice:

Say NO to everything.


That advice seemed counterintuitive. But think about it, when you say "YES" to something you are actually saying "NO" to something else. If you don't start with a plan and just float through life, you will be saying yes to commitments that don't matter. Commitments that can rob your time and ability to have REST. Feel empowered to say NO. I believe it's the start of having stronger mental sanity and clarity. Pray and ask God to guide your decisions.

As you start to define goals and priorities for yourself, stay focused on them. Don't be delusional thinking "you can do it all". We can't do it all. You can't be the perfect husband, wife, ministry leader, educator, coworker, student, mother, etc. because PERFECTION doesn't exist. Once you are clear on your priorities and understand what matters most to you, build in daily activities to assist you in reaching those goals.




Goal Example:
Goal = Heart health
Action = Plan 30 minutes of exercise (dancing, gardening, walking, etc) at least 4-5 times a week

When something comes up and tries to ROB time away from your end goal, say NO. Saying no brings freedom! (Posted by Roslyn)

Don't worry about anything, instead pray about everything. ~Philippians 4:6

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Top 5 Tips To Stay Fit Without a Gym!

Take A Lesson From Ants

I Am Raising America's Most Hated...