Roslyn's Top 5 Travel Tips

I've had an emotional week.  I spent time in Washington D.C. at a conference advocating for women owned businesses. 

Washington D.C. is filled with many historic places to visit. I saw many students with eyes wide open as they visited sites they've only read about in textbooks. 




I saw a memorial for gun violence victims on the National Mall that compelled me to pause, reflect and pray for the many families impacted by these tragedies. 




I stood at the place where Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. gave his famous, "I Have A Dream" speech. I also stood on the steps of the Capitol Hill.

Roslyn @ Capitol Hill

I realize when you visit historic sites there's a collective energy that you connect with. You can feel the presence of those who've gone before you. There are multiple emotions like anger, determination, hopefulness, excitement or even sadness. It's important to create space for processing all those feelings. 

Since many people are starting their Summer 2022 travel, I wanted to provide my top travel tips.

Roslyn's Top 5 Travel Tips:

TRAVEL WITH SNACKS

When you are traveling you never know when there will be a detour, delay or even a cancelled flight. Having food with you is vital. Traveling with snacks saves you money. One sandwich and drink can cost up to $30. That discretionary income is now needed for gas money so save where you can. Also, if a flight has turbulence you might not get the opportunity for beverage service on the plane. 

I personally travel with almonds, fruit, crackers and a peanut butter/jelly sandwich (yes, you can take food on the plane). 

HYDRATE

I can't say this enough - stay hydrated. Water becomes your best friend when you are on the road. Drink water every hour that you are in the air flying. 

A hydrated body keeps your skin from drying out and helps decrease swelling. Even if you are taking a road trip and don't want to keep stopping to use the restroom, it's imperative to hydrate. Stay away from salty foods and overuse of alcohol. Unfortunately, this can cause you to retain water. Load up on hydrating and noninflammatory foods like raw fruits and veggies. I personally love cucumbers, apples, watermelon & celery.

I carry an empty water container into the airport. TSA will not stop you if the container is empty. After I move through the security line, I visit a Hydration Station (normally located near airport bathrooms) to fill up my empty container. This saves time, money and reduces my carbon footprint (I hate using plastic bottles).

Here's a bonus tip, if you can do not check your bag at the airport. Carry your luggage onto the plane with you. You can save money and time by not checking it. I know this will not apply to everyone. Normally it takes anywhere from 25-30 minutes to retrieve your luggage from baggage claim. Time is your most precious gift. Why use it waiting for luggage? 

EXERCISE

It's not an excuse not to exercise because you are traveling. I use my Peloton app in my hotel room. Barre, yoga and stretching classes are my best friend. They are easily accomplished right in my room vs visiting the hotel gym. Walking around, dancing or any other activity boosts your mood and energy level for your trip.


BUILD IN REST

Have you ever needed a vacation from the vacation? Don't plan every minute of your trip whether it is work or pleasure. You need some down time. Your body needs REST. 

You need time alone to recover the energy spent while being with others. I normally forgo happy hours when traveling and go back to my hotel room to read. On average, I read an entire book while I'm on the road because I build in that downtime. I also make sure to go to bed on time (no later than 11pm) so that I am refreshed before my next day meetings.


PRAY

There are so many things that can go wrong when you are away from home. I often travel alone. I've learned, do not spend unnecessary time being anxious about concerns you can't control. 

Will I make my connecting flight on time?

Did I lock the door?

Did I pack enough clothes (the answer is always YES)?

Will that package arrive while I'm away?

Will it rain the entire trip?

Will I be sick?

Stay present and focused on enjoying yourself. 

If you start to feel anxious, take some deep breaths. 

When a challenge presents itself - pause and pray. 

God will get you through it. God's angels are watching over you (Psalm 91). Whatever your plans this Summer, safe travels my friend. Just keep soaring! (posted by Roslyn)







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Top 5 Tips To Stay Fit Without a Gym!

Take A Lesson From Ants

I Am Raising America's Most Hated...