Inauguration 2013

Roslyn at the Inauguration in 2009
It was exactly four years ago today I had the privilege of being in Washington, DC for the inauguration of our 44th President-Barack Obama.  My husband bought me the airline flight as a surprise Christmas gift.  

Witnessing the first bi-racial person sworn in as president was overwhelming and humbling.  I knew on that day I represented my living and deceased family members.  I stood on the shoulders of my ancestors who died believing one day we could all be equal in the United States of America.  It was a historic moment for our country.

The energy in the city was electric.  There was a unity within our country that was rare but welcomed.  I would sit on the train and enthusiastic riders of all races and colors would break out in song.  Before long the entire train joined in singing.  Most of the time the song was an old negro spiritual like, "We have overcome."  I listened at the Kennedy Center while Aretha Franklin performed, "We've come this far by faith."  This was an out of body experience.  I stood where hundreds listened to Martin Luther King, Jr. deliver his famous, "I have a dream speech."

Four year later and we are again watching President Barack Obama sworn into office.  This is the 57th Inauguration Ceremony. He was officially sworn in on Sunday.  That private ceremony took place in the Blue Room of the White House.  Surprisingly, it only took 30 seconds to repeat the oath.  Imagine the many weeks, days and years of drag out political campaigning, and nasty debates.  The oath was short, but filled with powerful words spoken in front of close family members and friends.


Three simple words were used:  Preserve, Protect and Defend the Constitution of the United States of America

We enter this second term hopeful that our country will continue to stabilize and grow.  

Will he live up to the challenge of that oath? No one really has that answer.  

As with all of us, mistakes will be made but through them you learn to be a better person, a better country.  No matter who our candidate might have been, our President is now elected, officially sworn in and we move forward with great anticipation.

P.S.  As a fashion diva, I can't wait to see the dress that Michelle Obama will wear to the Inaugural Ball.  What designer do you think she will choose?


Happy Inauguration and MLK Day! (Posted by Roslyn)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Top 5 Tips To Stay Fit Without a Gym!

Take A Lesson From Ants

I Am Raising America's Most Hated...