The Boyfriend I Want My Daughter to Date!

It's hard to believe that in just a few short months, I will have a teenager in my house.  People always tell you to treasure every moment with your child because time flies.  I now realize....they were right.  It seems like just yesterday I was holding her in my arms for the very first time. 

Where does the time go?

At a tender age of 13, she's only five years away from adulthood.  I only have a few short years to teach her all about life and the challenges it can bring.  We've surrounded her with positive friends, taught her God's word, taken her to church, and engaged her in extra-curricular activities.  Out of all the experiences we've provided her with, my sincerest desire is that at the end of it all, she has her OWN relationship with Christ.

As parents, we must encourage our children to nurture their OWN relationships with Christ.  Their faith can't only come through us.  They have to learn how to stand on God's word and believe His promises for themselves.  They must pick up the Bible to read God's word even if they don't always understand every single word.  If they just make the first step toward Christ, He will meet them at their need.




I want her to "date" God.  A season of spending time with Him and learning more about His promises.  Through these interactions, her faith will increase and give her confidence to make the right choices even when she's pressured to do otherwise.

James shares with us in the 2nd chapter of his book that our faith makes us a friend of God. 

23 and the Scripture was fulfilled that says, “Abraham believed God, and it was counted to him as righteousness”—and he was called a friend of God.
 
 
 
 
If I want her to have a close relationship with Christ, I must encourage it early in her life.  All relationships take time.  I must also set the example for her.  As parents, our kids need to see us reading our Bible, studying God's word, attending church, and living life surrounded by a circle of believers. 
 
Here's my question for you.....when was the last time you had a "date" night with Christ?  Have you encouraged your children to begin or maintain their OWN relationship with Christ?  When we’re alone with God, we draw closer to Him and get to know Him in a different way than we do in group settings.  He's waiting to spend time with us.  Won't you let him? (Posted by Renee Scott)
 
 
Proverbs 3:1-4 (NIV)
 
My son, do not forget my teaching, but keep my commands in your heart, or they will prolong your life many years and bring you peace and prosperity.  Let love and faithfulness never leave you; bind them around your neck, write them on the tablet of your heart.  Then you will win favor and a good name in the sight of God and man.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Top 5 Tips To Stay Fit Without a Gym!

Take A Lesson From Ants

I Am Raising America's Most Hated...