Finish Line Friday-My Training Schedule-Week 4

I’m less than three weeks away from the race and I only have two more Friday’s before I will end this running series. ( If you missed last week’s post, click here.)  This week I’m going to share my training schedule.
I initially assumed that running to build endurance needed to be my complete focus.  Boy was I wrong.  Variety in your training exercises is vital.  Make no mistake, you will need to run to build endurance, but in addition to your runs, make sure to incorporate strength training.  The combination of running and resistance training will help to strengthen your body, prevent injury, and increase your race pace.  When you incorporate strength training, focus on the lower body and core.
I highly recommend that you follow a proven training plan designed for the race you plan to run.  I chose to follow the plan provided by Women’s Running magazine in their 2011 January/February issue.  Click here for a link to their website.
On average you will want to start a training plan 10-12 weeks before the race.  If you start to early, you will burn out quickly.  When starting a half marathon training program, you should be able to comfortably run three to four miles.  Most plans suggest you exercise five to six days a week. 
My October training schedule
I use my wall calendar to track my runs and exercises each day.  I normally start the week with an easy run of about three to four miles.  Twice a week I cross train with either P90X or an at home workout of squats, planks, lunges, push ups, and calf raises.  Since I don't have a gym membership, I use dvd’s and light hand weights.  Wednesday’s are normally reserved for tempo runs or sprint drills.  This helps to increase my pace.  Friday’s are my rest and recover days before my long runs on the weekend. 

Training for a race is intense.  You must have a passion, will and determination to cross the finish line.  When you set out on your long runs, find a great trail where you can truly enjoy the journey.  Running in your neighborhood is great for quick runs but you will need the beauty of nature to inspire you when setting out for six, seven, or even ten mile runs.

~ "For even young people tire and drop out, young folk in their prime stumble and fall.  But those who wait upon God get fresh strength. They spread their wings and soar like eagles, they run and don't get tired, they walk and don't lag behind." Isaiah 40:30-31 (MSG) ~

(Posted by Renee)

Follow us on Facebook or join the conversation on Twitter @doubleportionin

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Top 5 Tips To Stay Fit Without a Gym!

Take A Lesson From Ants

I Am Raising America's Most Hated...