Permission To Cry

The inevitable happened, Tyler went off to college. I was a stay at home mother for the first 7 years of his life. Time has evaporated and I kissed my son goodbye as he headed back to his dorm just 2 weeks ago. #YIKES

Although Tyler remains my son and will come home often, the thought of him being out of the house had my nerves on edge (that's MY truth) this year.  There are many of my friends that previously talked about this feeling. Well, I was now in the position to experience it firsthand. I constantly thought:

How will I adjust to 1 less child in the home?

Does that actually mean buying LESS groceries? 😀

Who will NOW entertain our younger son?

Will he want ME to play Fort Nite?

Being a mom has defined me for the past 18 years. I remember when I left to attend the University of Florida, I did not return back to my mom's house. I got married right after college and started working upon graduation. I guess it's what a mother wants for her child, I'm just confused on how I arrived to this point so quickly. I mean, am I really 18 years OLDER?

Can I just HOLD him forever?
I was intentional this Summer to take time off work and just sit in the presence of my children. Of course they found it annoying, but I found it comforting. I've taken individual trips out of town with each child just to connect with them on their level.

Parenting in 2018, I find, is one of the HARDEST jobs on the planet. This generation is BOLD, influential and have NO problem telling you "what they won't do."


I didn't know what to expect during that final emotion when he moved into his dorm room. I teared up for months just thinking about it. I was overwhelmed with emotion during graduation but felt more excited and proud than sad. I didn't cry then, but this time around I needed permission to CRY. I kept telling myself, they will have to scrape me off the ground when I tell him goodbye.

Many moms simply told me, "you'll be fine Roslyn. He's only 2 hours up the road." Well in actuality grieving happens not just because of death but also separation. For any mother walking through this process - you have PERMISSION to cry and grieve the separation from your adult children. (Posted by Roslyn)



Teach your children to choose the right path, and when they are older, they will remain upon it. 
~Proverbs 22:6


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Top 5 Tips To Stay Fit Without a Gym!

Take A Lesson From Ants

I Am Raising America's Most Hated...