|Beaches and Pools!|
It was divine!
I feel like I live in paradise already. In my home state I'm surrounded by blue skies, palm trees that sway beautifully on a breezy day and the ocean is only about 45 minutes away. What's great about Hawaii though, is the unity of my two favorite landscapes, beaches and mountains. The combination of the two together make for breathtaking views and outstanding photographs!
Here's a list of 10 things I learned about Hawaii:
- Birds are everywhere and they aren't afraid of us. They will quickly fly in and steal your lunch.
|The birds will eat and drink whatever they find!|
- The homeless population is plentiful and quite visible throughout Oahu (where we visited). I was surprised by the number of tent cities throughout the city.
- The waters in Hawaii are dangerous! Actually while we were in town, a local musician drowned despite his knowledge of the waters. Strong currents can make your vacation turn into a tragedy if you're not careful.
- Colorful exotic plants and trees grow in abundance around the island. Birds of paradise and banyon trees are just some of the ones I took time to photograph.
- It's very expensive to live in Hawaii. A gallon of milk is $8.00. Most everything is shipped in driving up the costs.
- The spirit of "Aloha" is everywhere. The locals are friendly and laid back.
- When you get a chance, here are some "must" visits:
- Hike Diamond Head for breathtaking views
- Visit Lanikai Beach. It has extremely soft powdery clean white sand. It
- Snorkle in Hanauma Bay Nature Preserve. The best snorkeling I've seen in a long time right off the shoreline.
- Tour Pearl Harbor
- Take part in an authentic luau.
|Our tour guides while visitng Kailua Beach.|
- Take time to learn about the island from the locals. Most have lived on the island for an extended period of time and know all of the hidden treasures.
- The traffic in Oahu might be worse than Los Angeles. 80% of the population lives in the Honolulu/Oahu area. Yikes! (Posted by Renee)
|Common in Hawaii: lei's and hats|