10 Things I Learned about Hawaii!


Beaches and Pools!
A couple of weeks ago, my husband and I had a chance to visit one of the most beautiful places.  We had a get away to Hawaii for a week without our kids (thanks Mom for watching them).  I really, really missed my babies but I was thankful for the alone time with my hubby.


It was divine!


I feel like I live in paradise already. In my home state I'm surrounded by blue skies, palm trees that sway beautifully on a breezy day and the ocean is only about 45 minutes away. What's great about Hawaii though, is the unity of my two favorite landscapes, beaches and mountains. The combination of the two together make for breathtaking views and outstanding photographs!




For those who haven't visited Hawaii, maybe you can live vicariously through my experience.  I wanted to share a little about the places we visited and some things I quickly learned about the island. 

Here's a list of 10 things I learned about Hawaii:

  • Birds are everywhere and they aren't afraid of us.  They will quickly fly in and steal your lunch.
The birds will eat and drink whatever they find!

  • The homeless population is plentiful and quite visible throughout Oahu (where we visited).  I was surprised by the number of tent cities throughout the city.

  • The waters in Hawaii are dangerous!  Actually while we were in town, a local musician drowned despite his knowledge of the waters.  Strong currents can make your vacation turn into a tragedy if you're not careful.




  • Colorful exotic plants and trees grow in abundance around the island.  Birds of paradise and banyon trees are just some of the ones I took time to photograph.



    



  • It's very expensive to live in Hawaii.  A gallon of milk is $8.00.  Most everything is shipped in driving up the costs.

  • The spirit of "Aloha" is everywhere.  The locals are friendly and laid back. 

  • When you get a chance, here are some "must" visits:

    1. Hike Diamond Head for breathtaking views
    2. Visit Lanikai Beach.  It has extremely soft powdery clean white sand.  It

      literally feels like flour under your feet.  It consistently ranks among the best beaches in the WORLD!
    3. Snorkle in Hanauma Bay Nature Preserve.  The best snorkeling I've seen in a long time right off the shoreline.
    4. Tour Pearl Harbor
    5. Take part in an authentic luau.


Our tour guides while visitng Kailua Beach.
  • Take time to learn about the island from the locals.  Most have lived on the island for an extended period of time and know all of the hidden treasures.

  • The traffic in Oahu might be worse than Los Angeles.  80% of the population lives in the Honolulu/Oahu area.  Yikes! (Posted by Renee)


Common in Hawaii: lei's and hats




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Top 5 Tips To Stay Fit Without a Gym!

Take A Lesson From Ants

I Am Raising America's Most Hated...