We're Being Hit by Hurricane Irma


Hurricane Irma

At the time of this post, Roslyn and I both live in a state being pounded by Hurricane Irma. Millions of people are in the path of the storm causing it to be a historic event. Schools, churches, and even Walmart are closed for the next few days until the storm passes. All week it's been nearly impossible to purchase the basic hurricane necessities like gas, water, bread and batteries.


I knew my area was in the path of the storm to some degree, but with the shift in Irma's track, the eyewall will come within miles of my home. Since it was nearly impossible to find plywood for our windows, we will hunker down in our safe room where there's no windows or exterior doors.







The sobering reality that nearly 100 mph winds will soon change the atmosphere caused me to take years of memories off my walls. 

This entire experience is humbling. Matter of fact, downright frightening. 

Hurricanes are common this time of year. I've weathered many storms but there's something about Irma that leaves even the strongest of believers  a bit nervous. I KNOW that my faith is in God and not plywood or shutters. 

Even in my fears, I'm fully confident in an amazing and sovereign God! 

During the preparation for the storm, God constantly reminded me that He's my resource. When parts of me wanted to panic because I couldn't find water or batteries for our flashlights, God used neighbors and friends to call out of nowhere to offer these supplies to us. 






Even though our house isn't boarded up and we don't have shutters, it's well built and God continues to whisper, "if you needed those items, I would've sent them your way." 

I choose to trust Him!

There's a few things that God is demonstrating with this event.


  • The opportunity for "Sabbath Rest"


On a typical Sunday most people will find themselves worshiping at churches all over this state. Thousands of church employees and even volunteers work hard to prepare beautiful atmospheres of worship.

Not today. 

Most churches in the state are closed and it's a time when we will all enjoy "Sabbath rest". It's one of the ten commandments that we often read about but never follow. In a world full of distractions, the command from Exodus 20 gets easily overlooked.

8-11 Observe the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Work six days and do everything you need to do. But the seventh day is a Sabbath to God,your God. Don’t do any work—not you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your servant, nor your maid, nor your animals, not even the foreign guest visiting in your town. For in six days God made Heaven, Earth, and sea, and everything in them; he rested on the seventh day. Therefore God blessed the Sabbath day; he set it apart as a holy day.
  • God is our source

I'm sure that for some pastors, church being closed today is a scary thought. For churches of all sizes that depend on the tithes and offerings of its members each week for various budget items or to the employee of the numerous restaurants, retail stores and gas stations that can't work today and won't get paid as a result, God is providing yet another opportunity to trust Him in a deeper way. Here's His word: 


Philippians 4:19And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus.

  • God owns it all
For those concerned about their homes, churches or businesses being damaged, understand that it all belongs to him. He allowed you to acquire it, He will help to sustain it.

Even if you have to rebuild.

I Chronicles 29:16 God, our God, all these materials—these piles of stuff for building a house of worship for you, honoring your Holy Name—it all came from you! It was all yours in the first place! 

  • God is our protector
These scriptures give the greatest encouragement in scary times...

Psalm 32:7You are my hiding place; you will protect me from trouble and surround me with songs of deliverance.

Psalm 46:1 God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.

Deuteronomy 31:6 Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.

(Posted by Renee)




Comments

  1. Thank you for your words and for the grace of Hod to instill them and share with all. I too have a calm and your piece reminds us to co tinie to trust He who is in control.

    He is a PRESENT help in the time of trouble!

    #NotMyStorm
    LMC

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! We enjoy reading each comment. Stay inspired!

Popular posts from this blog

My Top 5 Tips To Stay Fit Without a Gym!

Take A Lesson From Ants

I Am Raising America's Most Hated...