3 Ways I lost 21 pounds!

Two years ago I was at my heaviest weight. If I would've put my pinky toe on the scale, it would register 200 pounds. My blood pressure was on the rise and I just didn't feel healthy. Now, with that being said, I was still a beautiful black woman. I just had a few more curves and edges.

When I visited with my doctor for my yearly physical and to discuss next steps regarding my blood pressure, she suggested that I decrease my sodium intake. I quickly realized that it was poison to my body. So many foods that I loved were high in sodium. I remember looking at the sodium content for a grilled chicken salad that I frequently enjoyed at a local restaurant and it exceeded 1100 mg of sodium! That's almost a daily supply of sodium in one salad.

At my doctor's suggestion, I decided to make small changes. Over time, those small changes led to 21 pounds of weight lost in a 2 year period.

Here's what worked for me:


  1. Decreased my sodium intake
  2. Decreased my food portions
  3. Increased my amount of exercise

  • Decreasing my sodium included eating more foods prepared at home. For the 1st 30 days I ate mostly whole foods. I wanted to cut out all processed foods. It was amazing how much of a difference it made.


  • I love food so cutting my portions was probably the hardest part of the journey.  I don't really believe in cutting out any major food groups because I love protein just as much as I love veggies and carbs. They all serve a purpose. 

    • Here's some examples of how I limited my portions.....If I ate a burger, I would only eat one side of the bun. If I ordered a meal at a restaurant, I would only eat half of it. Instead of eating 2 pieces of toast at breakfast, I ate only one. 


  • Not only did I increase the number of days I worked out, I also varied my workouts. I've always enjoyed exercising so this wasn't a struggle for me. Whether it was running, striking a pose in hot yoga or hip hop dancing, I chose workouts that were fun and engaging.


Don't ever doubt the power of small changes! 21 pounds in 2 years isn't even 1 pound a month, but over time, it all adds up to greatness. Give yourself attainable weight loss goals. Start small. Walking just 10 minutes after breakfast, lunch and dinner adds up to a 30 minute walk in a day. 


YOU CAN DO IT! (Posted by Renee)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Top 5 Tips To Stay Fit Without a Gym!

Drive By Blessing!

Take A Lesson From Ants