Lessons Learned From a Virgin


I absolutely love the Christmas story and what it means for mankind everywhere.  This year I've found myself  drawn to Mary and the role she played in the greatest display of obedience.  Just think about the reality of the virgin birth.  A young woman, engaged to be married, receives a visit from an angel.  I imagine she woke up on that day like any other day in her life. 

Little did she know, her life was going to change forever in an instant!

The angel shared that she was highly favored and that she would give birth to a son.  I can already envision the questions I would have for the angel.  I would have probably held the angel up for the rest of the day with questions.  "Exactly what am I supposed to tell my fiancee", would be the start of the questioning along with the need to know when and where I would deliver.  The most important question of all......."Are pain killers involved in this scenario?"

When I focused on Mary's reaction to the angel's proclamation, I realized she only had one question, "How will this be, since I'm a virgin?"  The angel responded with some brief comments on how the birth would take place and confidently declared that God's will would not fail to confirm that she would give birth to our saviour, Jesus Christ.

Without hesitation, she made a simple statement found in Luke 1:38 (MSG), "And Mary said, yes, I see it all now: I'm the Lord's maid, ready to serve. Let it be with me just as you say. Then the angel left her."

That was all she needed. 

Mary only required a profound declaration from the angel.  She didn't need to interrogate the angel like I would have done.  She said yes, in advance of knowing about her travel on a donkey (while in her third trimester) to give birth in a manger.  Most doctors won't even want you flying on a plane in your last trimester and here she was traveling on the backside of a donkey to fulfill God's will.  Even more compelling to me is that Mary said yes, even before she knew that she would have to endure the pain of seeing her son crucified at the tender age of 33.

The next time you hear the gentle whisper in your ear, pushing you toward destiny, listen and obey!  It's just that simple. (Posted by Renee)

Visit us on Facebook or join the conversation on Twitter @doubleportionin

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Top 5 Tips To Stay Fit Without a Gym!

Take A Lesson From Ants

I Am Raising America's Most Hated...