My 2nd Half Marathon Experience!

Last Sunday started different than most.  My morning began at 3:30 am in preparation for my 2nd half marathon.  An early start was necessary so that I could meet a few ladies from my BGR group.  By the time most were waking up out of their warm beds, I was well into my frosty 13.1 mile run.  When I agreed to run the race, just the week before, I would have never imagined the Florida race would commence in nearly freezing temperatures. 

This race would be different for a number of reasons.

  • My twin sister wasn't there
    • That was a huge difference for me. We've shared everything from a womb, dorm room, and even our first half marathon finish.  She was my encouragement every step of the way, despite difficulties she faced along the race course.  I depended on her to encourage me and keep me motivated in the times when the journey became difficult.  Although she couldn't physically be at the race, her phone calls at mile 6 and mile 11 (yes, I answered with very little breath) were the best gifts.
  • An angel in the race
    • LaFern and I around mile 11
    • Even when we don't think things are going our way, He will send you the support you need, even if it looks and feels different than what you imagined.  LaFern was just that person for me!  We met once during a BGR group run just one week before the race.  We immediately clicked and found out that our run pace was similar.  We stayed together the entire race and I am truly grateful for it.
  • Lack of training
    • I agreed to run the race just one week before the half marathon was to take place.  Sure I'd been running since my last half  in November, but this time was different.  Very little training could spell disaster.  Eating what you want, when you want, and how you want it could catch up with you on race day.  Unfortunately, it did just that for me.  The lack of proper preparation for the race caused intense leg pains during and days after the race.
Here's my realization. Running is a metaphor of life.

I did it!

You must train daily for the journey.  Even though I finished the race strong and cried at the sight of my family, my lack of training for this race caused walking difficulty after the race and a prolonged recovery period.   

Prepare daily for life.  Hold fast to your faith and your knowledge of what is true and noble.  Renew your mind in that truth daily.  The sacrifice of your time to train and stay fit (physically and spiritually) will lead to an end reward that is well worth the cost.  Don't allow distractions to lead to excuses. 

If I did it, you can too!  Put one foot in front of the other and enjoy the journey along the way.  (Posted by Renee)

New to running?  Enjoy our six week blogging series: Finish Line Friday's.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Top 5 Tips To Stay Fit Without a Gym!

Take A Lesson From Ants

I Am Raising America's Most Hated...