Our Top 5 Lifestyle Changes-Do You Know What You're Eating-Week 2

A few weeks ago we started a new series about the hidden dangers in your food.  If you missed the post, here's the link.  After researching some of my family's favorite foods and condiments, here are our top 5 lifestyle changes in an effort to eat healthier.



  • Use Real Butter
    • Margarine is high in trans fatty acids*
    • Margarine increases total cholesterol and LDL (bad cholesterol)*
    • We've decided to take it back to the basics.  Real butter instead of margarine.  I love the taste of Land O' Lakes sweet cream salted butter.  Leave the butter on your counter for easier spreading on toast and bagels. (Thanks Roslyn for that idea)

  • Organic snacks
    • When possible, we attempt to purchase organic snacks to keep our diets as wholesome as possible.
    • Cascadian Farms chocolate chip granola bars is one of our favorites for lunches or a pre-workout snack.
    • Pirate's Booty is another brand of healthy snacks that we enjoy!
  • Organic milk
    • For a milk to be labeled organic it means the following:
      • No pesticides in the cow's feed
      • Cows not treated with antibiotics
      • Cows have access to pasture
      • No growth hormones used to increase milk production
  • Less eating out
    • Dining out is expensive and fattening.  It's very difficult to control the food items used in various dishes.  We try and limit our eating out to once a week.

    Chicken strips in beaten eggs & then rolled in bread crumbs.

  • Homemade chicken nuggets/strips
    • This was one of the biggest changes in our diet.  Frozen chicken nuggets were my best friend.  Let's be honest, they are convenient and tasty.  My entire prospective changed when my sister introduced me to the movie, "Food, Inc."  Even though my mother told me for years to make my own chicken nuggets/strips, I didn't listen to her advice until I watched the trailer for the movie.  (Here is a clip of the movie being featured on ABC news when it first aired Food, Inc. )  If you decide to make your own nuggets, here's some quick tips:
      • Cut boneless, skinless chicken breasts into strips
      • Season
      • Dip in beaten eggs
      • Roll in bread crumbs
      • Cook in oven on 450 degrees until golden brown (approx. 10 - 15 minutes) or fry in a pan (using canola or olive oil)
      • **Use the same tips to make homemade fish sticks** (cod or haddock work best)
If you've recently made changes in your diet, let us know about it.  Leave us a comment below or visit us on Facebook or join the conversation on Twitter @doubleportionin. (Posted by Renee)

Comments

  1. I can't wait to share my lifestyle changes withnour readers. Thankfully, I've totally transformed my body (more lean body mass) and lost 10 pounds. Thanks for this post Renee! May we all be inspired to make small changes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love reading posts on healthy lifestyle changes. Great post! I'm excited to try the homemade fish sticks. I'd love to submit a guest post on trans fat. I think that its more unhealthy than people are aware.
    P.S. I can't wait to read about Roslyn's transformation and what lifestyle changes she made. Be Blessed!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! We enjoy reading each comment. Stay inspired!

Popular posts from this blog

My Top 5 Tips To Stay Fit Without a Gym!

Take A Lesson From Ants

I Am Raising America's Most Hated...