Saying Goodbye

I was recently in the airport on my way to Charlotte, North Carolina.  A woman and her family caught my eye as I waited for TSA officers to wave me through the security line.  This woman's son was saying goodbye as he was shuffled through a body scan and bag checks.  I instantly laughed because she pulls out her cell phone and starts snapping all these photos of him.  There wasn't much to take a picture of at 5:00am but she just kept snapping.



Of course, I don't know the entire story but this was obviously her son and he was heading into a new chapter in his life.  The family was there to cheer him on, but most importantly say goodbye.  The young teenage girls with this mom kept shaking their head in embarrassment.  It really was a cute scene.  No matter how much they laughed at her, she just kept taking her pictures.  After I had time to think about this scenario playing out in front of me, I became sad.

A mom saying goodbye to her boy...oh gosh one day that would be ME!

Now let me tell you, this was  a 6'3" baby boy but nonetheless he was her precious son.  My reality set in that my boys are growing so quickly and I will soon say goodbye to them.  I've viewed so many graduation pictures on Facebook from various people.  What a huge accomplishment - high school/college graduation.

With every goodbye comes a brighter hello.  

I'm not sure where his final destination would take him, but he was excited.  The mom showed a sad face but the tall son was all smiles.  A bright future was in front of him.  He would no longer be under the wings of his mom.  Nope, he was leaving the nest.

As an adult, we've all been there.  I remember saying goodbye to my parents, after leaving for the University of Florida.  I was only 17 years old and never returned home after that to live with my parents.  I married right after college graduation and started working.  A bright future was ahead of me then and it still is today.  My mom was able to find peace in the fact that her girls were off to college.  She knew God would take care of us. Of course their were tears, but you move forward step by step in faith.

We all have people or children we need to say goodbye to.  Even if that goodbye is sending them away on the first day of Kindergarten.  We can't keep them in the nest always.  Never grieve saying goodbye, celebrate and focus on the bright future that is ahead of them.

From Double Portion Inspiration: CONGRATULATIONS to all our 2013 graduates!  (Posted by Roslyn)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Top 5 Tips To Stay Fit Without a Gym!

Take A Lesson From Ants

I Am Raising America's Most Hated...