We LOVE Maya Angelou!


What a woman of elegance

During the past week we learned of Maya Angelou's passing.  On our Facebook page, we posted a photo from the 90's with her.  It was such a pleasure to meet her.  She was truly a living legend.  She is a poet, writer, performer, teacher and director.  To say we love her is an understatement.  She was full of grace, beauty and wisdom.  God blessed her life tremendously and she shared that fact in so many of her appearances.  We couldn't let this week pass without honoring her in our blog.





A few of my book collection authored Maya Angelou



I've read her books, recited her poems, and listened intently when she read "On the Pulse of Morning", at the inauguration of President William Jefferson Clinton.  This was a memorable election for me because it was the first time I was of voting age.  To honor her I decided to share a few of her quotes from "Words of Hope & Courage".  Enjoy!







"We are living art, created to hang on, stand up, forbear, continue and encourage others."

"Hope has conspired with the wind and blown away the demons of despair."

"God puts rainbows in the clouds so that each of us - in the dreariest and most dreaded moments- can see a possibility of hope."

"It is not that I have confidence, but I believe if I fail, so what?  Now I have the chance to try again."

"Just as hope rings through laughter, it can also shine through tears."





To the woman who won three Grammys, speaks six languages, was awarded the Presidential Medal of Arts in 2000, and received over 50 honorary degrees, we celebrate you!  As her family stated in a statement on the day of her passing, "She was a warrior for equality, tolerance and peace."  She is truly one of the most renowned and influential voices of our time!

We will leave you with one of her famous poems, "Phenomenal Woman". (Posted by Renee)



Pretty women wonder where my secret lies.
I'm not cute or built to suit a fashion model's size
But when I start to tell them,
They think I'm telling lies.
I say,
It's in the reach of my arms
The span of my hips,
The stride of my step,
The curl of my lips.
I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.

I walk into a room
Just as cool as you please,
And to a man,
The fellows stand or
Fall down on their knees.
Then they swarm around me,
A hive of honey bees.
I say,
It's the fire in my eyes,
And the flash of my teeth,
The swing in my waist,
And the joy in my feet.
I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.

Men themselves have wondered
What they see in me.
They try so much
But they can't touch
My inner mystery.
When I try to show them
They say they still can't see.
I say,
It's in the arch of my back,
The sun of my smile,
The ride of my breasts,
The grace of my style.
I'm a woman

Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.

Now you understand
Just why my head's not bowed.
I don't shout or jump about
Or have to talk real loud.
When you see me passing
It ought to make you proud.
I say,
It's in the click of my heels,
The bend of my hair,
the palm of my hand,
The need of my care,
'Cause I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.          

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Top 5 Tips To Stay Fit Without a Gym!

Drive By Blessing!

Take A Lesson From Ants