I've never enjoyed.....

It's hard to believe that it's almost time for Thanksgiving.  I love this time of the year.  Food, fun, family and Christmas shopping.  (Need some Black Friday shopping tips?  Here you go!)  What could be better?

We traditionally gather together with a large sampling of our family members.  Everyone under one roof is loud from the football games playing on the tv, kids playing games, and the rest of us reminiscing and catching up with each other.  Seeing cousins, uncles, and aunts, that you haven't seen in awhile is such a joy. 

The agenda for the event is simple.

Bring a dish.

Say a prayer of thanks.

Eat like tomorrow may not come.

We have a traditional southern Thanksgiving meal.  However, the other day I realized, there's some traditional items I've never enjoyed.  Some would say it's a tragedy but I would say, why add something new to the menu?  If you think I'm missing out, leave a comment and convince me to try something different.

Here we go.  I've never enjoyed.......

  • Pumpkin pie
    • Our tradition is to enjoy sweet potato pie.  My mom and aunt make the best pies I've ever tasted.  Pumpkin just wasn't in the cards I guess.

  • Green bean casserole
    • I'm just not big on the thought of cream of mushroom, green beans and french fried onions on top.  I prefer just a fresh green bean with a little meat in the pot for seasoning and great flavor.

  • Fresh cranberry sauce
    • The cranberry sauce is not a big component of our Thanksgiving meal.  I typically don't eat canned foods but if cranberry sauce is served, it's the kind that's right out of the can. If that makes you cringe, share a great recipe for me to try.

No matter what you eat on Thursday, take time to give thanks for your blessings.  If we allow ourselves, we would only focus on the things we don't have.  What about the things you do have? 

Shelter.  Food.  Family.  Education.  Water.  Finances.  Stability of mind and the ability to wake up and enjoy it all again the next day.  Most importantly, a loving God who longs to bless you with even more.  I leave you with this amazing promise from Ephesians 3:20 (MSG)

God can do anything, you know—far more than you could ever imagine or guess or request in your wildest dreams! He does it not by pushing us around but by working within us, his Spirit deeply and gently within us.
 
 
Happy Thanksgiving (Posted by Renee)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Top 5 Tips To Stay Fit Without a Gym!

Take A Lesson From Ants

I Am Raising America's Most Hated...