Middle School Parenting Success!

Parenting has the ability to make you laugh and cry all at the same time.  I don't profess to be a perfect parent but I know I'm a determined and dedicated parent.  This weekend I had a chance to show my "tween" aged daughter my dedication to our relationship.  We visited SeaWorld and before we could even make it through the gate, my daughter knew the roller coasters she wanted to ride.


Manta at SeaWorld
I knew she would want one of us to ride with her.  Alton nor myself was eager to step up and ride along.  I was even willing to let her go on the ride by herself.  I would just walk with her to the top and then stand on the other side and wait for her.  While we were walking through the line, she said, "Come on mom, this is a great bonding moment for us." 


Did she really just say that? 

Bonding? 

On a roller coaster that travels up to 56 miles per hour? 



The face I wanted to give my daughter when she wanted me to ride on the roller coaster.

 
Maybe she forgot I'm 40 years old with back concerns from time to time.  If she forgot that, maybe she would remember that this a footless roller coaster that positions you in the downward position before leaving the station.  Are you kidding me?  I could think of much better ways to bond like manicures and pedicures or even running a 5K for goodness sake.

Despite my reservations, I rode the roller coaster.  She was so happy but I was so scared.  I strongly disliked every moment of the ride.  I tried to keep my eyes closed the entire time and screamed to try and stop the "butterfly" feelings in my stomach.  At one point, I briefly opened my eyes to look at my daughter.  She was smiling and I immediately knew, this was a parenting success!

With my daughter being in middle school, I can sense her becoming more independent.  If she could, she would probably stay in her room to be in her own space.  I can't say that I enjoy knowing that my daughter is getting older.  She's my oldest and I love our time together.  If I have to push beyond my fears to have bonding moments with my children, then so be it.  Children want our time and attention.  Material things are good, but time with our children is priceless.  There will come a day when she's grown and gone.  I don't want to have any regrets when that time comes. 


She talked me into riding this roller coaster as well. 

The Kraken!

Ecclesiastes 8:15  (CEB)
 
So I commend enjoyment because there’s nothing better for people to do under the sun but to eat, drink, and be glad. This is what will accompany them in their hard work, during the lifetime that God gives under the sun.
 
 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Top 5 Tips To Stay Fit Without a Gym!

Take A Lesson From Ants

I Am Raising America's Most Hated...