I love to "gather" information. Some might say it's being nosy, but I beg to differ. If a friend shares she's not feeling well, I'll want to know why. If I find out that someone is in the hospital, my next question might be, "Oh no, what happened?" For years in my career I was tasked with asking questions to investigate claims. It's now spilled into my personal relationships.
Recently during a conversation with my mom's friend, she shared with me her guiding principal in life. It stems from the text in 1 Thessalonians 4:11 (NIV):
11 and to make it your ambition to lead a quiet life: You should mind your own business and work with your hands....
WOW! What an awesome scripture. Since reading it, I've tried to make it apart of my daily living. It is how I will aim to please God as we are directed to in I Thessalonians 4. Let's look at this simple text a little further.
|Peaceful St. Pete beach|
- Make it your ambition
- This is our goal in life. An uncomplicated way to live that delights God.
- Lead a quiet life
- Some translations of this scripture admonishes us to lead a quiet and peaceful life. Keep your atmosphere free from drama and stress. Stay calm and don't worry. Trust God and share with Him your problems and fears. Try your best to stay in an environment that is composed, tranquil, and serene!
- You.....mind your own business
- Even though others around you might not be working toward this goal, YOU should. The words are very direct. Mind your own business. Don't gossip or spread rumors. You have your own issues to be concerned with.
- 2 Timothy 2:16 (NLV)
Do not listen to foolish talk about things that mean nothing. It only leads people farther away from God.
- Work with your hands
- Let me quickly point out that we are supposed to work. The word of God tells us if we don't work, we don't eat. Do your work. Earn your living by your own efforts. Not the efforts of others.
- I Thessalonians 4:12: "We want you living in a way that will command the respect of outsiders, not lying around sponging off your friends." (MSG)
Share with us the scripture that's a guiding force in your everyday life. (Posted by Renee)