The Purpose of my Surgery Pain

1 day after surgery
I'm writing this blog exactly one week after having major surgery.  Over the coming weeks I will have to give my body time to rest so that it can swiftly flow through the healing process.  I wanted to share a little of my experience and the lessons learned along the way.

Heading into surgery I was nervous because I've only been in the hospital to give birth. The thought of iv sticks, having blood drawn and feeling pain was overwhelming.  When they allowed my mom and husband to finally say good bye from the pre-op area before surgery, I lost it. 

Tears flowed.  I was so nervous and scared.

In the weeks leading into surgery, my husband had only one request, please don't cry when they roll you away.  So much for that.  I blew it.


I realized that even though I fully knew and trusted God's ability to heal me, my thoughts of the procedure over took my knowledge of His ability.  In the midst of my tears, my mom whispered, "Renee, say some scriptures."  I couldn't even remember one verse in that moment.  I guess that's why the father in Mark 9:24 cried out, "I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!”

I certainly believed that God would bring me through, but the unbelief as to how and when weighed heavy.  Thankfully surgery went well and two days later I was discharged to heal at home. 

Pain has been apart of the healing process.

Even though doctors try and help you manage the discomfort, there will be pain that comes with healing.  I soon realized that the pain was necessary to trigger my awareness of my limitations.  With numerous stitches, if I didn't feel some pain at times, I could move in the wrong direction causing a tear and major damage.

My pain served a major purpose.  On the days when I felt just a little better, pain would remind me that I was still healing and it would be a process to full recovery.  At the time of this writing, I am still pretty tender, unable to drive, and fatigued most of the day with even the slightest task, but with each passing moment, I'm that much closer to a full recovery!  (Posted by Renee)



1st week after surgery.
Well wishes from my sister and her family.


Psalm 103:1-5 (NIV)

Praise the Lord, my soul;
    all my inmost being, praise his holy name.
Praise the Lord, my soul,
    and forget not all his benefits—
who forgives all your sins
    and heals all your diseases,
who redeems your life from the pit
    and crowns you with love and compassion,
who satisfies your desires with good things
    so that your youth is renewed like the eagle’s.

Comments

  1. I would've cried too. The thought that anything could've gone wrong can be overwhelming. Although you were unable to recall a scripture at the moment, His word was already hidden in your heart. Powerful post...pain is a reminder of our healing process. May God continue to bless you through your healing and recovery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope,

      Thanks for your well wishes. I appreciate it so much. I've been blessed by the numerous prayers. I feel them and the power they transmit on my behalf. Blessings!

      Delete
    2. Renee, Your story is a humorous yes, humorous reminder to me that when God wants us to sit still and rest He will make it happen. For me this is not as much a healing story as it is a resting and trusting story. As in resting your body and trusting our Lord God to take care of all of your needs. I am dealing with trust issues with God myself so, your situation was very easy to recognize. When God wants our attention, He is not going to wait until we are ready to give it to Him. He will grab a hold of it now while at the same time asking us to trust that He really does know what He is doing and, that He also has our best interest in mind.

      Renee, you are a busy Lady who is spends a great amount of time at the service of others. You are a great source for so many people. Your strength, personality, skills, attitude, positive outlook on life is both uplifting and encouraging to many even for the people you don't know who are simple observing you on daily encounters. With all of that said, it is obvious to me that God wants some alone time with you. He knows that the only way to do that is to slow you down by weakening your body, limiting your movement (That part cracked me up for, God is saying be still my Good and faithful servant.) and by doing so temporarily taking away your cape Super Woman. He wants your undivided attention. So you may see this experience as a limitation or some thing to slow you down. However, God sees it as an opportunity to converse with one of His Outstanding Servants on a deeper level who is also in need of some down time. He loves you and is worthy of your time and trust. Enjoy a deeper level or prayer and fellowship with God one on one. Don't try to do any thing while you are healing. Hand all of your worries and your to do list over to Lord Jesus to take care for. He can handle it. Be Blessed and heal quickly. Janette Panell

      Delete
    3. Wow Janette! Your words are beautiful and true. This recovery has been a time of intimacy with Christ. I have time to read, pray, and digest his Word in ways I don't always get being a working mom and wife. Thanks for your compliments and encouragement. They mean so much!

      Delete
    4. It's my pleasure Renee for, you and your sister Roslyn have inspired me to take better care of myself and to have a closer, quality relationship with God. Please continue to share your journeys for they truly are inspirations for those of us who need to step up our quality of life and way of living. Be Blessed!

      Janette L Panell

      Delete
    5. Monica Murphy-IrbyAugust 2, 2013 at 1:04 AM

      Renee,Thank God for your courage and Faith.This is Monica Murphy, not sure if you remember me but, I walked in your shoes numerous times.I am insulin dependent and have heart diesase that has caused me to have to have a ICD ( Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillator)from having Cardiomyopathy. Consider yourself very blessed. They say it comes from having a baby that was 2lbs at birth.So keep pushing and believing.God Bless.:)

      Delete
    6. Hey Monica! Of course we remember you. So happy that despite your health challenges, you have a handsome son. We declare continual healing over you. Blessings :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! We enjoy reading each comment. Stay inspired!

Popular posts from this blog

My Top 5 Tips To Stay Fit Without a Gym!

Drive By Blessing!

Take A Lesson From Ants